Since our initial report of Dr. Bobby Jones’ appearance in the upcoming homosexual movie Dirty Laundry, there has been considerable discussion about it in cyberspace and elsewhere. Some, perhaps with well meaning concern, have accused us of attempting to assassinate, judge and hate Dr. Jones. Nothing could be further from the truth. The fact is that Dr. Jones’ egregious behavior has been an affront to many for the greater part of two decades since he began his television talent show. The time has come to address that in the Biblical context. Although he claims to be a member of Missionary Baptist Temple in Nashville since 1956, we strongly believe Dr. Jones has no accountability, thus allowing him to continue in his ways. Confronting individuals who bear fruit contrary to their claims of righteousness is nothing new in scripture. Paul confronted Peter, Jesus confronted the Pharisees, Peter confronted the Jews, the prophets of old confronted Isreal, Nathan confronted David, Elijah confronted Jezebel. Thus, our confrontation of Dr. Bobby Jones is well within the traditional bounds of scripture. Although there are many solid reasons, for this type of action among Christians, our reasons for this confrontation are as follows:
1. We are using this very public situation to highlight the dire and urgent need for repentence and reform within the broader “black gospel music” industry.
2. Our goal is both corrective and redemptive. We are not attempting to penalize Dr. Jones for his professional accomplishments, but rather correct his erroneous public actions and words using the Word of God as a standard so as to save his soul from hell.
3. We are not advocating boycotting Dirty Laundry, nor the cancellation of the
a so-called representative (ambassador) of Christ and His church.
4. We are advocating a radical return to the Word of God and holiness. We are advocating spiritual renewal not just in persona, but in the heart, which changes
a man’s outward actions.
5. We are reaffirming the time tested truth of God’s Word regarding sex and sexuality. Any sexual relationship outside of the covenant male/female marriage model created, ordained and sanctified by God, is irrevocably sinful. The promotion of any derivation of this model is to be utterly rejected by God’s people.