This is such a powerful study guide/questionnaire to help you learn the truth about false teachers. There’s no denying we are contending with an abundance of them today. They are primarily attracted to the church by money, power, fame, prestige and control. Although such things lure them in, they are kept in power by self imposed ignorance (Hosea 4:6), passivity and biblical illiteracy. Some false teachers carefully cultivate public images as teachers of righteousness, yet their personal lives are filled with sexual immorality, lies and manipulation of God’s people. Again their goal is personal gain.
Whether they are in the gay christian movement, prosperity hirelings, emergent church, or any other the other false Christian they are ravenous wolves seeking to steal your money and damage your soul.
One thing is for sure, you do not want to fall under the seductive control of a false teacher. If you dont, do your self a favor and become familiar with their tactics, motives, agenda and lifestyle through the bible’s expose of false teachers in the first century church. They battled with the same thing.
The questions come from a teaching by John MacArthur. At the link are answers to the questions, but make sure you look up the passages and read.
1. Who were the first false teachers eliminated from the church at Ephesus?
2. What was Timothy’s responsibility in Ephesus?
3. What is significant about the sentence structure of 1 Timothy 1:3-4?
4. What kind of authority did Paul grant Timothy in verses 3-4?
5. Why was Ephesus a key city in Asia Minor?
6. How many false teachers were exerting influence in the church at Ephesus? Why do they go unnamed?
7. Explain the meaning of the Greek verb translated “teach no other doctrine”.
8. What were the false teachers using as the basis of their teaching?
9. What was Timothy not to occupy his mind with (1 Tim. 1:4)?
10. How did Paul characterize the teaching of false teachers throughout his pastoral epistles?
11. What does Satan endeavor to do wherever God establishes truth?
12. What did the apostle Paul warn the Ephesian elders about (Acts 20:20- 32)?
13. How is false teaching subtle?
14. What is the effect of questions that false teachers stir up ?
15. What are essentially the two religions in the world? What do they teach?
16. What was Paul’s analysis of any teaching that is contrary to the gospel of Christ (Gal. 1:8;)?
17. What does God desire to see in the church? Support your answer with Scripture.
18. What three things produces love? Explain each one.
19. What is the goal of a false teacher?